City travel agencies experience merge

first_imgBrent Erickson, the company’s back office manager, discusses a couple of the benefits the merge will provide. [asset|aid=3591|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=a47d9b11e744fa03c86430df7bc1ab7f-Erickson _1_Pub.mp3] According to Erickson, there is zero tension between the two companies and both sets of employees are excited at the opportunity to work together. Two travel agencies operating in Fort St. John have officially merged into a single company.As of Monday, May 30, Cameron Travel Ltd. has amalgamated with fellow travel agency, Marlin Travel, after Cameron Travel Ltd. purchased the assets of Marlin Travel for an undisclosed amount of money.- Advertisement -Prior to the merge, Marlin Travel had been operating in Fort St. John for 45 years.As a result of the merge, Cameron Travel, still the companies official legal entity, will be conducting their business under a franchise agreement as Marlin Travel.The buyout came as a result of the co-owner of Marlin Travel, Karen Bowler’s decision to retire. Lesley Robbins, the other co-owner will be remaining at the office as an employee. Despite the merge, no layoffs have occurred from either company and employment is being maintained from both offices.Advertisementlast_img read more

Read More →

Local teachers buck state attrition trend

first_img“Most teachers who come to work here have had family or friends work here so they know it is a nice place to work,” Garvey said. Supportive parent-teachers alliances and site councils also have been key to this district’s success in maintaining its teachers. “We are the Sulphur Springs community district and community is at the center of what we do,” Garbey said. A recent study done by the California State University Center for Teacher Quality surveyed 2,000 teachers and concluded that a negative work environment was one of the leading causes for teachers leaving their profession. Kyle Kulish is in his first year as a 10th-grade English teacher at Golden Valley High School. Kulish, who said he’s had too many previous careers to mention, said teaching doesn’t compare to any other job he’s had. “At every other job you knew you would be working from 9 to 5, that’s it,” Kulish said. “As a teacher there is so much additional time spent planning, grading, keeping in contact with parents and trying to further yourself as a teacher that people quit the job if they’re not properly alerted to these circumstances.” Kulish said the Hart Union High School District’s Peer Assistance and Review program – derived and modified from a statewide program – has helped him stay in control. “I could easily see myself working here for 20 years,” Kulish said. The PAR program was established seven years ago by the state. Its purpose was to “fix” failing teachers with support and professional training to ensure their improvement. What the Hart district has done is put every new teacher into this peer assistance program. “Our district is one of the few in the state, or the country, to put all their new teachers through this program,” said Linda Marguiles, Hart’s induction director. “The idea is instead of having a situation where principals are making limited one-hour observations to provide their guidance to teachers, we are helping and pointing them in the right direction all year long,” Marguiles added. The Hart district retains 70 percent of its new teachers – above the national average of 50 percent and close to the state average. Overall, Hart teachers stay on the job longer than counterparts statewide, though California is making strides. The state has established a two-year induction program for new teachers, called the Beginning Teacher Support and Assessment, which is similar to the Hart district’s system in which new teachers are guided and mentored. In its fourth year the program seems to be improving the retention rate for new teachers. In 2005-06 more than 92.2 percent of BTSA teachers were still teaching in their second year and 87 percent had stayed for four years. While teachers and administrators agree that Santa Clarita’s family-friendly communities and safe neighborhoods help create a more enticing environment for educators, even teachers at some of the more diverse schools in the area, and in poorer neighborhoods, seem to buck the attrition trend. Mary Ried has taught sixth grade at Newhall Elementary for 19 years. Newhall has more urban-like demographics with its higher percentage of English language-learner students and poorer residents, but Ried says she prefers the diversity. “It makes teaching more interesting,” Ried said. But Ried admits that after raising three children in the Santa Clarita Valley, it’s the combination of loving where you work – and live – that has made her stay at Newhall for so long. “It’s a great place to raise your own family where you get to see students out at the mall, soccer field and market,” she said. “They know that you are not only teaching in the community but you care. “I won’t leave until I retire.” connie.llanos@dailynews.com (661) 257-5254160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! SANTA CLARITA – It is not uncommon to hear teachers talk about retiring after spending decades in Santa Clarita schools – for many it’s the only place they’ve ever worked. But this longevity in teaching is rare. In California, 22 percent of all teachers will leave their careers after just four years, according to a recent report from the state Department of Education. That could mean a shortage of 33,000 teachers by 2015. Still, Santa Clarita’s teachers seem to defy the national and statewide trends by vying for teaching jobs in the area – and staying in those positions. “For every person that we hire we have 10 or 15 applications we turn away,” said Beverly Knudsen, assistant superintendent of personnel for the Newhall Elementary school district. Citing positive support programs, engaged parents and community members, and family-friendly neighborhoods as clear incentives to stay, teachers and administrators feel teaching in Santa Clarita pays off. “This year we will have a turnover of 10 teachers out of 284,” said Tom Garvey, director of personnel and pupil services at the Sulphur Springs School District in Canyon Country. Garvey said the majority of teachers in the district are 46-50 with 31 percent of them being older than 50. Garvey, who has been with the Sulphur Springs district for 20 years, said 22 percent of the teachers at the district have been there for more than 15 years. last_img read more

Read More →

Liverpool assistant Buvac wanted as new Arsenal manager

first_imgSven Mislintat is Arsenal’s head of recruitment . Photo/COURTESYMislintat believes a three-man structure incorporating himself, Buvac as head coach and Raul Sanllehi, Arsenal’s head of football relations, is the best way to develop a successful long-term strategy at the Emirates.Reports in the Bosnian newspaper Pravda BL on Tuesday claimed that Buvac was poised to take over at the Emirates.Liverpool, however, are adamant that Buvac is away from the squad due to “personal reasons”, and they are confident he will return to his role at Anfield in the summer.Arsene Wenger has to win the Europa League if he wants to leave Arsenal in the Champions LeagueBuvac, the man Klopp calls ‘The Brain’, has worked with the Liverpool boss since they first came together in Mainz 17 years ago, and Klopp once called him “the best signing he’s ever made”.There has so far been no comment from Arsenal, who say they will conduct their search for a new manager in private.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Zeljko Buvac has temporarily left his role as Liverpool assistant manager . Photo/COURTESYLONDON, United Kingdom, May 3 – Arsenal’s head of recruitment Sven Mislintat believes Liverpool’s assistant manager Zeljko Buvac is the man to replace Arsene Wenger as manager.Arsenal wish to appoint Wenger’s successor as soon as possible after the season closes – with Mislintat championing Buvac, his former colleague at Borussia Dortmund.last_img read more

Read More →

Transfer rumours and paper review – Saturday, August 23

first_imgHere’s the top transfer-related stories in Saturday’s newspapers…Manchester United will let Danny Welbeck, Tom Cleverley and Wilfried Zaha go on loan this season. (Daily Mirror)Paul Pogba is set to end speculation he could rejoin Manchester United by signing a new long-term contract with Italian champions Juventus. (Daily Star)Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers has lined up an amazing deal to sign Samuel Eto’o – in case the Mario Balotelli deal falls through. Eto’o has already had a medical and will sign for the Reds if Rodgers decides against signing Balotelli after face-to-face talks. (Daily Mirror)Balotelli, meanwhile, has agreed to halve his wages to complete his shock switch from AC Milan to Liverpool. (Daily Star)Lukas Podolski is edging closer to the Arsenal exit door after being axed from the squad to face Everton today. (Daily Mirror)Stoke boss Mark Hughes insists Asmir Begovic is going nowhere this transfer window and says it would take an enormous offer from one of the big boys to part with him in the future. (Daily Mirror)Kostas Mitroglou wants to quit Fulham after a major fall-out with Felix Magath. (Daily Mirror)Sunderland manager Gus Poyet is ready to make two loan signings and has still not given up on enticing Liverpool striker Fabio Borini back to Wearside. (Daily Express)Leicester are closing in on the £4 million capture of Basel’s Chilean playmaker Marcelo Diaz. (The Sun)And here’s the latest talkSPORT.com headlines…Exclusive – Balotelli will give Liverpool ‘completely new dimension’, says former Reds aceExclusive – Redknapp reveals remarkable Balotelli taleExclusive – Former Liverpool star admits fears over Balotelli dealTransfer Insider: Liverpool plan second striker swoop and Madrid star to reject Man United moveExclusive: Federico Fazio ‘practically a Tottenham player’Ex-Manchester United midfielder set to snub Premier League duoArsenal transfer boost: Blanc admits PSG starlet could leaveSwansea face fresh competition in fight for FrenchmanReal Madrid plot shock loan move for Man United defenderWest Ham target set for Swansea switchWest Ham and Sunderland target keen on moveNapoli to land West Ham target Transfer rumours and paper review 1last_img read more

Read More →

Are you watching Brendan Rodgers? On loan Liverpool star shows why he is so highly rated

first_img1 Liverpool FC news: Mario Balotelli is showing his skill at AC Milan Mario Balotelli struggled to show anything like his best form last season with Liverpool, but his confidence doesn’t appear to have been dented.Playing for AC Milan on loan this season, the Italian striker played a brilliant rabona through ball to team-mate Luiz Adriano in a Serie A match against Genoa.Balotelli scored his first goal of the season for Milan in a 3-2 win at Udinese earlier in the week, but he couldn’t help the Italian giants take any points off Genoa.Is he flattering to deceive again? Time will tell, and Liverpool fans will be keeping a close eye on his development.last_img

Read More →

Moorpark development proposal defeated

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECasino Insider: Here’s a look at San Manuel’s new high limit rooms, Asian restaurant The project spent four years in the planning process. — Angie Valencia-Martinez, (805) 583-7604 angie.valencia@dailynews.com MOORPARK – A developer’s proposal to build 1,680 homes on 3,544 acres north of Moorpark was soundly defeated Tuesday night in a special election. With all nine precincts reporting, the development proposal, outside the city limits in county-owned land, was crushed by a margin of 5,673 votes against Measure A6 to 1818 in favor. Supporters of North Park Village and Nature Preserve have long touted the project, currently on protected land, for its ammenities, including a lake, nature preserve and road improvements. Opponents called the project urban sprawl, said it harmed sensitive animal habitats and would worsen traffic in and around town. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Read More →

DUNFANAGHY MAN IN COURT ON TESCO THEFT CHARGE

first_imgA MAN from Dunfanaghy has appeared in court charged with theft.Letterkenny District Court heard that Mingfei Guo, with an address at The Great Wall Chinese Takeaway, Dunfanaghy, was arrested at Tesco in Letterkenny on December 4.A defence solicitor asked that the case against the 30-year-old be adjourned for four weeks to allow for an interpreter to be present. Judge Paul Kelly adjourned the case until January 13.A second charge relating to immigration matters was withdrawn by Gardai.DUNFANAGHY MAN IN COURT ON TESCO THEFT CHARGE was last modified: December 16th, 2013 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Read More →

49ers analysis: Why it’s OK Jalen Ramsey got traded to Rams

first_imgNo team is allowing fewer passing yards per game than the 49ers.Mortgaging their future drafts for a cornerback would have been bad business, compounded by an expensive contract extension, which they’ve already done at quarterback (Jimmy Garoppolo) and pass rusher (Dee Ford).The 49ers (5-0) are more than fine. As for the Los Angeles Rams, who just lost 20-7 at “home” to the 49ers on Sunday, they felt compelled to go for broke, perhaps literally, by trading Tuesday for cornerback Jalen …last_img

Read More →

Set Down Your Push Broom

first_imgYou pushed your big “opportunity” from January to February. Then March. Then you pushed that same “opportunity” into the second quarter of the year.Just to be safe, you put the close date in for June 30th. You believed that this would provide you with plenty of time to push the “opportunity” across the line. And you did push the “opportunity” . . . just not across the line. Instead, you pushed the “opportunity” into the fourth quarter.Why are so many opportunities projected to close the last day of the quarter anyway? And why do these opportunities seem to always need to be pushed a little further ahead?It’s the end of the fourth quarter. The clock has run out. Are you really going to push that “opportunity” into the first quarter of next year?Instead, maybe push that trash into the dustpan, toss it away, and start working on a real opportunity. Essential Reading! Get my 3rd book: Eat Their Lunch “The first ever playbook for B2B salespeople on how to win clients and customers who are already being serviced by your competition.” Buy Nowlast_img read more

Read More →

Indian Man Arrested After Woman Accuses Him of Sexual Assault on U.S. Flight

first_imgAn Indian man traveling from Las Vegas to Detroit was arrested after his co-passenger accused him of sexual assault during the flight. Prabhu Ramamoorthy, 34, was traveling with his wife when the alleged incident took place.Ramamoorthy, who is in the United States on a temporary visa, was arrested at the Wayne County Airport Authority and charged with aggravated sexual abuse. He was held without bail after he was brought to court in Michigan on Jan. 4. Ramamoorthy works for a Troy-based information technology company. If found guilty, he can go to prison for up to five years.The 22-year-old woman was sitting on the window seat next to Ramamoorthy on a Spirit Airlines flight from Las Vegas, which landed in Detroit early on Jan. 3. The victim said she woke up to find her pants and shirt unbuttoned and that he had his hands inside her pants. She woke up and reported the alleged attack around 5.30 am. The flight attendants kept her with them at the back of the flight and later gave her a different seat.Ramamoorthy’s wife, who was sitting on his other side, later went to the back of the aircraft to see what was going on, Federal prosecutor Amanda Jawad said. The Indian man told the police that he had taken a pill and went to sleep. His wife told him that the 22-year-old girl was sleeping on his knees. It was later found that he had taken Tylenol, which is a brand of paracetamol.His wife said that they had contact the flight attendants to change their seats but Jawad said in court that apart from the complainant nobody else contacted them to change seats.Jawad argued that Ramamoorthy and his wife were on temporary visa and that he was at flight risk and a potential danger to others. He was taken into custody without bail.U.S. Executive Magistrate Judge R. Steven Whalen said the allegations were “odd” and told Ramamoorthy to appeal against the detention order.“It seems that she’s (wife) either colluding with the defendant to cover up his actions or she’s completely oblivious to what he did,” Jawad argued, according to Washington Post. “What makes this offense particularly egregious and the defendant even more of a danger to the community is the fact that it took place on an airplane. He was brazen enough to do this basically in public, next to his wife where anyone could have seen him,” he added.“I have a hard time with some of these allegations but that’s what a trial is for,” defense lawyer Richard O’Neill said, according to Detroit News. “There have been no allegations from anywhere that his behavior has ever been inappropriate prior to this incident.”Ramamoorthy told an FBI agent that he “might have” undone the woman’s bra and cupped her breast, according to Detroit News. He also said that he unzipped her pants and tried to digitally penetrate her but couldn’t, according to court records, the report added. Related ItemsAviationIndian Americanwomen’s rightslast_img read more

Read More →