Australian all-rounder Marcus Stoinis declared fit for ICC Champions Trophy

first_imgAustralian all-rounder Marcus Stoinis has been declared fit for the ICC Champions Trophy beginning June 1 in England and Wales.Stoinis awkwardly landed on his shoulder while training for Kings XI Punjab’s match against Royal Challengers Bangalore on May 5 in the ongoing edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL) and after undergoing scans in India, headed to the NCC for rehab in a bid to prove his fitness for the Champions Trophy.The 27-year-old bowled on Wednesday at the National Cricket Centre in Brisbane and was passed fit by team support staff.The all-rounder will now travel with his teammates from Brisbane to London on Thursday night.”He bowled today and medical staff were happy with his progress,” a Cricket Australia spokesperson told cricket.com.au.The Victorian all-rounder did not have a successful IPL stint, playing five matches and contributing just 17 runs with the bat from three innings, while also taking two wickets.Australia’s first warm-up game for the Champions Trophy is in London on May 26 against Sri Lanka, before a second fixture against Pakistan on May 29 in Birmingham.Australian squad: Steve Smith (captain), David Warner, Pat Cummins, Aaron Finch, John Hastings, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Moises Henriques, Chris Lynn, Glenn Maxwell, James Pattinson, Mitchell Starc, Marcus Stoinis, Matthew Wade and Adam Zampa.last_img read more

Read More →

Top US trade official voices concern over Peru logging

first_imgLIMA, Peru — The top U.S. trade official is expressing concern that Peru may not be living up to its promises to combat illegal logging under a free trade agreement.In a letter sent in December, U.S. Trade Rep. Robert Lighthizer wrote that he considered “unacceptable” a recent decision in Peru to put an independent agency that monitors the logging trade under the Ministry of Environment.The letter to U.S. Rep. Richard Neal came after House Democrats sent a letter requesting the U.S. trade representative take action.Lighthizer wrote that the U.S. position had been “forcefully communicated” to Peru and that he would request consultations if the decision was not reversed.Environmental activists consider Peru’s decision to make the forest inspection service a subordinate agency a blow in efforts to strengthen enforcement.The Associated Presslast_img read more

Read More →

Condill Hotel starting to come down

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The demolition contractor hired by the City of Fort St. John has completed the abatement of contaminated materials inside the Condill Hotel, and today started to knock the historic building down. The City’s Communications Coordinator Ryan Harvey said that the demolition phase is expected to take approximately one month during which time the sidewalk and the parking lane in front of the building will be closed. Once the demolition is complete near the end of June and the site has been fully remediated, the property will be offered for sale for redevelopment. Contractors begin demolishing the Condill Hotel. Photo by Adam Reaburn Contractors begin demolishing the Condill Hotel. Photo by Adam Reaburn Contractors begin demolishing the Condill Hotel. Photo by Adam Reaburn Contractors begin demolishing the Condill Hotel. Photo by Adam Reaburn Contractors begin demolishing the Condill Hotel. Photo by Adam Reaburn Contractors begin demolishing the Condill Hotel. Photo by Adam Reaburn Harvey said in a release that the sale of the lot will provide a return on investment over the next 20 or 30 years. Any proposed development will follow the City’s Official Community Plan and Zoning Bylaws that guide the form and character of any new or renovated building in the downtown core. “This generational opportunity for downtown redevelopment will have a lasting effect on our community,” stated Mayor Lori Ackerman. The City of Fort St. John purchased the building last July from Leo and Elaine Budnick, and announced after taking possession in September that it would be demolishing the historic building. After being awarded the contract to demolish the hotel last October, Prince George-based NAPP Enterprises for just over $457,000, with the total budget of acquiring and remediating the site for development set at $1.5 million.After finding more hazardous material than what was published in the tender, NAPP submitted a number of change orders that resulted in the City increasing the demolition budget by roughly $650,000. However, since NAPP resumed work in February, Harvey said that the City has not received any more change orders.last_img read more

Read More →

American Jewish Leader urges King Mohammed VI to “stop” controversial anti-Israeli…

first_imgCasablanca- A global Jewish human rights organization addressed a letter to king Mohamed VI urging him stop a draft law that seeks to criminalize normalized relations with Israel.The draft law aims to strengthen the legal arsenal against “trade”, “financial”, “banking” and “insurance operations” with Israel. A restriction would also be placed on “the participation of Moroccans, both those residing in the Kingdom or in Israel, in activities held in the Jewish state. According to the draft law, which was presented by five parliamentary groups, the presence of Israelis in Morocco would be strictly prohibited, and would be deemed an “offense” punishable by “two to five years of imprisonment and a fine between MAD 100,000 and MAD 1 million.”Dr. Shimon Samuels, the Simon Wiesenthal Centre’s Director for International Relations, sent the letter to King Mohammed VI during his visit to the United States. In his letter, Dr. Shimon raised alarm about risks posed by the law on Morocco’s image as a country of tolerance best known for its warm ties with Jewish community around the world: “in your absence, various groups in your Parliament plan to damage Morocco’s reputation for tolerance, its standing as a Western ally and its long history of warm ties with the Moroccan Jewish Diaspora in the United States, Europe and Israel.”He recalled Morocco’s welcome of the Jews in the fifteenth century when they were expelled from Spain, along with the Muslims, and sought refuge in the country: “in 1492, your dynasty welcomed Muslim refugees, together with their Jewish neighbors, both expelled from Christian fundamentalist Spain. These Jewish immigrants contributed greatly to Morocco’s prosperity, just as their departure resulted in a sharp decline in Spanish power”.He also recalled that King Mohamed V, the grandfather of the current king, protected the Jews from the Nazi during the tough times of the second world war, highlighting that “over 250,000 of your former subjects still recall with affection the World War II protection they enjoyed from your grandfather, King Mohammed, in the face of the anti-Semitic laws of the Vichy-France administration. Thousands of Jews, most of them Israeli, now annually visit Morocco as tourists, pilgrims to Jewish grave-sites or business and cultural delegations.”The SWC’s director went on to explain the content of  the draft law when he said,“ Your Majesty, behind your back, a number of political parties aim to ram through Parliament a law, entitled ‘Criminalizing Normalization with the Israeli Entity.’ The law intends to prohibit all participation in activities of Moroccan citizens and residents in which Israelis or Israeli organizations are involved, with punishments of 2 to 5 years imprisonment plus fines of 10,000 to 100,000 euros. The relations to be penalized are listed as ‘economic, political, cultural, artistic or other contacts’”He also indicated the impact the draft bill could have, if approved, on the Moroccan economy and it image at the global level: “this law would not only endanger the Jews remaining in Morocco, it would set a precedent for the exclusion of other minorities, thereby wrecking Your Majesty’s 2011 newly enacted human rights based Constitution. Indeed, it may also deter foreign investment prospects, both current and future”.Dr. Shimon Samuelsargued that “the proposal includes ‘a declaration of diplomatic war’ against all countries that have citizens holding Israeli nationality, as well as against all Moroccans with family ties in Israel, in violation of anti-discrimination provisions of the Council of Europe and the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), where Morocco holds an observer status.”He concluded by urging the king to interfere in order to stop the draft law and ensure that “this unconstitutional and damaging draft law remains a draft.”Meanwhile, the controversial bill continues to raise concern in Israel. Joel Rubinfeld, co-chairman of the European Jewish Parliament condemns the draft law because it “threatens the opening of Morocco to Israel,” adding that “we must not allow radicalism to take over us.Jewish News One, an English news channel deemed the proposed bill as “anti-Semitic”.On the other hand, Jacky Kadoch, president of the Jewish community in Marrakech-Essaouira insisted that the said bill does not have the slightest chance of being passed in the House of Representatives, believing that “the king will never approve of this law.”The Simon Wiesenthal Center is a global Jewish human rights organization that fights anti-Semitism. According to the center’s official website, the rights group is accredited as an NGO at international organizations, including the United Nations, UNESCO, OSCE, Organization of American States (OAS), the Latin American Parliament (PARLATINO) and the Council of Europe. Based in Los Angeles, the Center maintains offices in New York, Toronto, Miami, Chicago, Paris, Buenos Aires, and Jerusalem.© Morocco World News. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, rewritten or or redistributedlast_img read more

Read More →

Report Suso decides to remain at AC Milan

first_imgAC Milan midfielder Suso has reportedly decided to remain at the club this summer, amid rumoured interest from AS RomaThe Spanish midfielder has been in fine form for Milan since arriving in 2015 from his disappointing spell with Liverpool in the Premier League.Due to his consistent performances at the San Siro, the 24-year-old had been linked with a shock return to Liverpool.But recently Roma had emerged as the front-runners for his signature.Roberto Firmino, LiverpoolVirgil van Dijk praises Roberto Firmino after Liverpool’s win Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Virgil van Dijk hailed team-mate Roberto Firmino after coming off the bench to inspire Liverpool to a 3-1 comeback win against Newcastle United.However, even after the signing of Samu Castillejo from Villarreal, Calcio Mercato have reported that Suso has elected to stay where he is for now and would even like to discuss a new long-term deal.The news will likely come as a blow for Last season’s Champions League semi-finalists Roma, who saw their signing of Malcom from Bordeaux snatched from right under their noses by Barcelona earlier this summer.Suso has made a total of 95 appearances for Milan in all competitions and has managed 15 goals.last_img read more

Read More →